POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! : Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost! Server Time
2 Jun 2024 12:38:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installation into "My Documents": All Scenes Lost!
From: Warp
Date: 14 Sep 2009 14:08:44
Message: <4aae86ac@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <Sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Remember,
> what we do here is not to say "Your Fault", "My Fault", what we try to do
> here is to give constructive suggestions to make things better and saver,
> and more user-friendly.

  You also have to understand that if you keep extremely important files
in your hard disk, some of them for so long that they are even from the
DOS days, and you don't understand the concept of backupping, you are
*asking* to lose those files one day or another.

  The fact is: If you don't backup a file in your hard disk, you are
accepting that you will lose that file at any moment with no possibility
of recovering it. This is simply a fact of life and physics. Hardware will
break (it's not a question of "if", but "when"), accidents can happen,
buggy software can happen. *Anything* can happen which will destroy those
files. That's why backupping is so important if you really need to make sure
you don't lose some files.

  And "backupping" does not mean copying a file to another place in the
same hard disk or even the same computer. It means copying (by whatever
means you want) to a completely separate media (such as a DVD-R or whatever)
and keeping it safe (so that if an accident happens, it will only affect
either the computer or the backup media, but unlikely both at the same time).

  (And if the files are really important, you can't trust one single backup.
Like with the computer, storage media can degrade, break of suffer from
accidents, and sometimes this can happen without notice. This means that
if the hard disk gets damaged or otherwise the original files get lost so
that you would need to recover them from the backup media, it might have
happened that the backup media has broken as well. Again, this is simply a
fact of life and physics.)

--
                                                          - Warp